Cultural Assets

Changdeokgung Palace Complex

In the early 15th century, the King Taejong ordered the construction of a new palace at an auspicious site. A Bureau of Palace Construction was set up to create the complex, consisting of a number of official and residential buildings set in a garden that was cleverly adapted to the uneven topography of the 58-ha site. The result is an exceptional example of Far Eastern palace architecture and design, blending harmoniously with the surrounding landscape.

 

 

  1. Korean

창덕궁

창덕궁은 조선왕조 제3대 태종 5년(1405) 경복궁의 이궁으로 지어진 궁궐이며 창건시 창덕궁의 정전인 인정전, 편전인 선정전, 침전인 희정당, 대조전 등 중요 전각이 완성되었다. 그 뒤 태종 12년(1412)에는 돈화문이 건립 되었고 세조 9년(1463)에는 약 6만2천평이던 후원을 넓혀 15만여평의 규모로 궁의 경역을 크게 확장하였다. 임진왜란 때 소실된 것을 선조 40년(1607)에 중건하기 시작하여 광해군 5년(1613)에 공사가 끝났으나 다시 1623년의 인조반정때 인정전을 제외한 대부분의 전각이 소실되었다가 인조 25년(1647)에 복구되었다. 그 후에도 여러 번 화재가 있었으며, 1917년에 대조전·희정당 일곽이 소실되어 1920년에 경복궁의 교태전·강녕전 등 많은 건물을 철거하여 창덕궁으로 이건하였다.

창덕궁은 1610년 광해군때 정궁으로 쓰게된 뒤 1868년 고종이 경복궁을 중건할 때까지 258년 동안 역대 제왕이 정사를 보살펴 온 법궁이었다.

창덕궁 안에는 가장 오래된 궁궐 정문인 돈화문, 신하들의 하례식이나 외국사신의 접견장소로 쓰이던 인정전, 국가의 정사를 논하던 선정전 등의 치조공간이 있으며, 왕과 왕후 및 왕가 일족이 거처하는 희정당, 대조전 등의 침전공간 외에 연회, 산책, 학문을 할 수 있는 매우 넓은 공간을 후원으로 조성하였다.

정전 공간의 건축은 왕의 권위를 상징하여 높게 되어있고, 침전건축은 정전보다 낮고 간결하며, 위락공간인 후원에는 자연지형을 위압하지 않도록 작은 정자각을 많이 세웠다.

건물배치에 있어, 정궁인 경복궁, 행궁인 창경궁과 경희궁에서는 정문으로부터 정전, 편전, 침전 등이 일직선상에 대칭으로 배치되어 궁궐의 위엄성이 강조된 데 반하여, 창덕궁에서는 정문인 돈화문은 정남향이고, 궁안에 들어 금천교가 동향으로 진입되어 있으며 다시 북쪽으로 인정전, 선정전 등 정전이 자리하고 있다. 그리고 편전과 침전은 모두 정전의 동쪽에 전개되는 등 건물배치가 여러개의 축으로 이루어져 있다.

오늘날 자연스런 산세에 따라 자연지형을 크게 변형시키지 않고 산세에 의지하여 인위적인 건물이 자연의 수림속에 포근히 자리를 잡도록한 배치는 자연과 인간이 만들어낸 완전한 건축의 표상이다. 또한, 왕들의 휴식처로 사용되던 후원은 300년이 넘은 거목과 연못, 정자 등 조원시설이 자연과 조화를 이루도록 함으로써 건축사적으로 또 조경사적 측면에서 빼놓을 수 없는 귀중한 가치를 지니고 있다. 후원은 태종 5년(1405) 창덕궁을 창건할 때 후원으로 조성되었으며, 창경궁과도 통하도록 하였다.

대부분의 정자는 임진왜란때 소실되었고 지금 남아 있는 정자와 전각들은 인조 원년(1623)이후 개수·증축된 것이다. 이 곳에는 각종 희귀한 수목이 우거져 있으며, 많은 건물과 연못 등이 있어 왕과 왕비들은 이곳에서 여가를 즐기고 심신을 수양하거나 학문을 닦고 연회를 베풀었다.

창덕궁은 조선시대의 전통건축으로 자연경관을 배경으로 한 건축과 조경이 고도의 조화를 표출하고 있으며, 후원은 동양조경의 정수를 감상할 수 있는 세계적인 조형의 한 단면을 보여주고 있는 특징이 있다.

창덕궁의 역사에 대한 기록은 「조선왕조실록」, 「궁궐지」, 「창덕궁조영의궤」, 「동궐도」 등에 기록되어 있다. 특히 1830년경에 그린 「동궐도(국보 제249호)」가 창덕궁의 건물배치와 건물형태를 그림으로 전하고 있으며, 궁궐사와 궁궐건축을 연구 고증하는데 귀중한 자료가 되고 있다.

창덕궁은 사적 제122호로 지정 관리되고 있으며 돈화문(보물 제383호), 인정문(보물 제813호), 인정전(국보 제225호), 대조전(보물 제816호), 구선원전(보물 제817호), 선정전(보물 제814호), 희정당(보물 제815호), 향나무(천연기념물 제194호), 다래나무(천연기념물 제251호)등이 지정되었다. 창덕궁은 1997년 12월 유네스코 세계문화유산으로 등록되었다.

 세계유산적 가치

동아시아 궁전 건축사에 있어 비정형적 조형미를 간직한 대표적 궁으로 주변 자연환경과의 완벽한 조화와 배치가 탁월하다.

등록기준 :세계문화유산기준 (Ⅱ), (Ⅲ), (Ⅳ)

  • (Ⅱ) 일정한 시간에 걸쳐 혹은 세계의 한 문화권내에서 건축, 기념물조각, 정원 및 조경디자인, 관련예술 또는 인간정주 등의 결과로서 일어난 발전사항들에 상당한 영향력을 행사한 유산
  • (Ⅲ) 독특하거나 지극히 희귀하거나 혹은 아주 오래된 유산
  • (Ⅳ) 가장 특징적인 사례의 건축양식으로서 중요한 문화적, 사회적, 예술적, 과학적, 기술적 혹은 산업의 발전을 대표하는 양식

 

  1. English

Justification for Inscription

The Committee decided to inscribe this property on the basis of criteria (ii), (iii) and (iv), considering that the Changdeogung Palace Complex is an outstanding example of Far Eastern palace architecture and garden design, exceptional for the way in which the buildings are integrated into and harmonized with the natural setting, adapting to the topography and retaining indigenous tree cover.

Long Description

Changdeokgung Palace had a great influence on the development of Korean architecture, garden and landscape planning, and related arts, for many centuries. It reflects sophisticated architectural values, harmonized with beautiful surroundings. The palace compound is an outstanding example of Far Eastern palace architecture and garden design, exceptional for the way in which the buildings are integrated into and harmonized with the natural setting, adapting to the topography and retaining indigenous tree cover.

In the early years of the Joseon dynasty in Korea, the capital moved many times between Gaeseong and Hanyang (present-day Seoul). In 1405 the King Taejong (1400-18), moved the capital back to Hanyang. Considering the existing Gyeongbokgung Palace to be inauspicious, he ordered a new palace to be built, which he named Changdeokgung (Palace of Illustrious Virtue). This palace occupies an irregular rectangle of 57.9 ha, north of Seoul at the foot of Mount Eungbongsan, the main geomantic guardian mountain.

A Bureau of Palace Construction was set up to create the complex, consisting of a number of official and residential buildings, carried out to traditional design principles. These included the palace in front, the market behind, three gates and three courts (administrative court, royal residence court and official audience court). The compound was divided into two parts: the main palace buildings and the Biwon (royal secret garden). The main buildings (throne hall, hall of government affairs, and royal residences) were completed in 1405, and other major elements were added in the succeeding seven years.

The compound was extended to the north-west in 1462. In 1592, during the Japanese invasion of Korea, the palace was burned down, along with many of the important structures in Hanyang. The ruler, Seonjo, began reconstruction in 1607, and this work was completed in 1610, when it again became the seat of government and the royal residence, a role that it was to play for 258 years. It underwent some vicissitudes during that period, but reconstruction was always faithful to the original design. <p >The main gate (Donhwamun) is a two-storey structure, built in 1406 and reconstructed in 1607 after destruction by fire. The first of the three functional sectors of the palace (administrative court) is entered through the impressive single-storey Injeongmun gate, in the same style as Donhwamun. It gives access to a courtyard whose dominant feature is the majestic throne hall (Injeongjeon). It was destroyed twice by fire, in 1592 and 1803. Set on a double terrace, it is a two-storey structure supported on four huge columns. The elaborate throne in the main hall is placed on a dais beneath a carved ceiling screen. The roof ridge is decorated with carvings of guardian animals, such as eagles and dragons. The main stairway leading to the hall is ornamented with statues of mythical guardian animals. To the east of the Injeongjeon Hall is the simple blue-tiled Seonjeongjeon Hall, used by the king for everyday business. Next to it is the Huigyeongdang Hall, another modest building, which contained the king's bedchamber and sleeping quarters for his staff.

The Daejojeon Hall nearby was for the use of the queen. The garden was landscaped with a series of terraces planted with lawns, flowering trees, flowers, a lotus pool, and pavilions set against a wooded background. There are over 26,000 specimens of 100 indigenous trees in the garden. To these should be added 23,000 planted specimens of 15 imported species, including yew, stone pine, white pine, gingko and Chinese junipers. Source: UNESCO/CLT/WHC